The purpose of this policy is to define First Baptist Dewar refund policy for all contributions. The First Baptist Dewar is not legally required to refund any donor contributions. A charitable contribution is a gift, an irrevocable transfer of a donor’s entire interest in the donated cash or property. Contributions must be irrevocable to qualify for a charitable deduction.
1. The First Baptist Dewar is not required to return an undesignated or unrestricted gift. As such, requests for refunds relating to unrestricted gifts will be denied under most circumstances.
- Exception A: Refund requests for duplicative or erroneous processing may be allowed.
- Exception B: Refund requests of significant gifts (greater than $10,000) will be reviewed thoroughly and must be approved by the executive pastor of ministry support.
2. In some instances, a refund of a designated or restricted gift may be allowed if the purpose for which the gift was given will not come to fruition. The First Baptist Dewar will contact the giver and ask for the restriction to be removed or if the giver would like his or her contribution returned.
- For example, donations for mission trips may be refunded if a trip gets canceled by the First Baptist Dewar and the donor requests a refund.